Sunday, February 21, 2010

Replacing the floor

Sounds easy enough. Pull up the old stuff, put down some new stuff. Easy right? Um, 2 days later I am exhausted, and we didn't even get the new subfloor down! But we did get rid of all that asbestos tile (safely I hope) and all of that old, nasty insulation under the floor. While removing that gunk I found several abandoned lizard nurseries, but luckily nothing more gross than that. Interestingly, most of the floor supports were in good condition. On the interior we ended up only replacing 2. All the perimeter supports need to be replaced to some degree, but we have to put that part on hold - it seems they are stapled from underneath AND nailed from the underside of the skin, so getting them out is going to take some thought. All in all after 2 days of hard work, Zippy looks worse, smells better, and is nowhere near done. All in good time.

After taking out what was left of the bathroom (Front to back):


and back to front:

And after day 2:

Close up... supports look to be in good condition. Minimal rust on metal underside (nice surprise!)

But the perimeters and corners are shot:

Things to note: One of the panels from the ceiling caved in today, luckily I was a foot away from it's path! I keep getting harassed by wasps - I think they want to move in. The door is falling off. It has nothing to hold onto, the wood is so rotted it's just crumbling away! My dad wants to replace the skin. I feel like that's cheating. I wish I had more time to work on Zippy!

Next Time on The Adventures of Zippy Lee...
Continue to repair sub floor water damage, lay new subfloor. And I MAY take an 8 hour round trip to get a rear window and some other parts. I still don't know if it's worth the time and gas...

No comments:

Post a Comment